Wednesday, July 21, 2010

my aching heart ........

Today my 92 year old grandfather passed away in Australia. Although I have not seen him for 3 years I am so sad knowing he is no longer here. I grew up living a long way away from my grandparents, but the distance didn't matter I always felt very close to them, and treasured the times we did have together.

He lived an amazing life like so many others of his generation. Surviving years in a Japanese prison of war camp, to then emigrating his family to Australia from England. I remember him as always being a strong man, he was tall, and his presence in a room was felt. At the same time there was such a tenderness about him. He lit up when his great grand kids were around, he loved to give hugs and have the kids sit in his lap.

So tonight my heart aches for my Nan who is now alone after 70 years of marriage, for my mom who was so far away from her dad when he died, for his great grandchildren that won't get the privilege to see for themselves what a great man he was, and for myself who just misses him already.

I love you Pop and I can't wait to see you again some day.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow Rachel. I am sorry for the pain of the loss. I certainly have fond memories of your grandparents. Mostly of Nan, as she was so much in the forefront. But always, he was not far away as a quiet, gentle giant. Yes, my thoughts are also with Nan as she goes through this loneliness. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. I love you.

Jennifer said...

Oh Rach.....I am so, so sorry. Sounds like he was a great man. Praying for you.

Adeye said...

Sending you a HUGE hug, my friend.

Love you heaps and heaps.

Gary and Michelle said...

Sorry for your loss. I understand how that feels as I lost my grandmother (also 92) just 2 months ago.

We are praying for you as I understand that you have already left on your journey to collect your daughter. We look forward to hearing how things are going.

Michell

lisa said...

Rachel,
I am so sorry for your loss. I know it was very difficult. Distance makes it so much harder. My heart and prayers are with you. I lost my grandmother 2 weeks before we left for China to bring Andrew home in 2008. My heart was so sad that he would never know her. She was 97 when she passed away. I look forward to seeing her again one day and Andrew meeting her in heaven one day.